Saturday, May 21, 2011

Grumpelstiltskin

I'm going to tell you a story...
About a shepherd named Grumpelstiltskin.
He has a large flock of lambs that follow him wherever he goes.
But these aren't ordinary lambs, you see.
They are the grumpiest and most ill-tempered lambs in all the land.
And everyday,
Grumpekstiltskin chooses an unsuspecting victim
with whom he leaves his flock of grumpy lambs,
while he goes out in the pasture 
and takes a nap in the warm shade of a willow tree.
All day, the lambs make this person a big old grump.
Until Grumpelstiltskin returns in the evening,
to fetch up his flock grumpy lambs.
and take them far far away.

Today, I am grumpy.
I wish I was in Provo.
Back in cute little Devonshire 20,
laughing with my best friends, and
preparing to watch the BYU Rugby National Championship.

Instead,
Here I am. 
In Arvada.
Still sick with a bad case of the sniffles.
And while the rain has stopped for a moment,
It is windy.  And chilly.  

To cheer myself up,
and in spite of this dreadful weather,
I thought I would make my most favorite winter treat,
before I have to stow this recipe away for the winter months.

Chunky Coconut Curry Stew

Ingredients:
1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
3 medium red potatoes, cut in wedges
2 c. carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 14oz. can coconut milk
1 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes 
2 (heaping) T. curry powder
1 T. cumin
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 t. fresh ginger, minced
salt and pepper to taster

Directions:
Saute chicken in a bit of olive oil in a medium saucepan until lightly browned on all sides.
Add the onions, and saute until they are softened.
Add the spices, garlic, and ginger.
Cook just a minuet more.
Add the broth, coconut milk, and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
Stir in all the vegetables.
Reduce heat to low and simmer until the veggies are tender.
Serve with flatbread.
Enjoy!

Happy National Championship Rugby Boys!  Oh Happy Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment