Sunday, January 30, 2011

Eggplant


Eggplants are probably the most under-appreciated of all the vegetables.  
Honestly, when was the last time YOU cooked with one? 
I'll admit, I am a bit intimidated by these unusual vegetables.  Their deep purple color reminds me more of a certain friendly dinosaur from my childhood than something I normally put in my mouth... but the rich texture and unique flavor has the potential to make some seriously delicious dishes.    
To remedy my neglectful past with eggplants, I dedicated 2 whole nights of cooking solely to this vegetable.
One classic recipe.  One new invention.

Here we go...


EGGPLANT PARMESAN

Ingredients:

1 medium eggplant, cut in 1/2 inch slices
Fresh Mozzarella
Grated Parmesan
Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs (I made my own with whole wheat bread, oregano, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper)
Egg whites
Crushed tomatoes
Olive Oil



Dip each slice of eggplant in the egg whites, then in the breadcrumbs.
Saute on each side until slightly browned.
Arrange in a baking dish. 



Meanwhile, simmer those tomatoes over low heat.  
Season to taste.
(You can also use regular old spaghetti sauce instead, but I like the chunks for some added texture)



Cover eggplant with the tomatoes.
Top with a (generous) slice of mozzo.
Sprinkle with fresh parmesan.

Pop in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 20ish minuets.
Just wait until the cheese is all melty/bubbly.




Serve with a fresh balsamic and spinach salad and a tall glass of pomegranate crystal light.
Eggplant perfection! 


EGGPLANT BRUSCHETTA

Ingredients:


Eggplant, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
Green onions, chopped
Whole wheat baguette, sliced
Feta cheese
Red Wine Vinegar or Balsamic (both are divine)
1 clove fresh garlic, cut in half




Toss eggplant cubes with a little olive oil and spread out on a baking sheet.
Toast at 350 degrees until golden brown.
Then toast your bread slices until they are nice and crisp (flip them halfway through).
Rub each piece of baguette with the fresh garlic halves when they are fresh out of the oven.
Toss eggplant with feta, vinegar, and onions.
Spoon onto the toasts.



Perfect appetizer.
Perfect post-chemistry snack.
Shoot, why not just make a meal out of it!


  Let me know if you have any other good eggplant recipes...I would love to try them!
Happy Cooking!  Oh Happy Life!

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey, you just make me happy :)
    you actually make me WANT to cook. lol

    ReplyDelete