Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Professor Story

The other day I realized I forgot to do something really IMPORTANT for one of my classes
and that this little brain slip was going to cost my grade BIG time.
So naturally, I flipped out a bit
took a deep breath
and emailed my professor.
Well.
Needless to say, 
he was NOT happy with me
 and sent me back a snarky little email demanding I come see him in his office
IMMEDIATLY.
Let's just say I was worked up and nervous for the rendez-vous ALL day long.

But then i got there.
And he didn't even mention the issue, just asked me how my life is going.
We ended up chatting for a nice little while,
swapping some stories and him imparting the coolest/science/nerd wisdom on me.
Then at the end of the conversation
he told me he understands mistakes, 
cautioned me to try a little harder at giving others the benefit of the doubt, 
and fixed the problem right there on the spot.

I was overwhelmed with gratitude as I walked home. 
For even such a simple thing as the kindness of another person.
I guess sometimes I just need these gentle reminders 
that loving people is so much more important than being right
or getting my way.

Now for a night snuggled up
with a mug full of my new honey vanilla chamomile herbal tea
a wool blanket
and one fat chemistry assignment.

"Be the one who nurtures and builds.  Be the one who has an understanding and forgiving heart, one who looks for the best in people.  Leave people better than you found them."
--Marvin J. Ashton


Happy Lesson Learning!  Oh Happy Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment