Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Double Yolker

I knew today was going to be wonderful from the moment I started making breakfast...
and just happened to get a double yolked egg!
My granny always said a double yolker would ensure a day full of smiles.


Proof 
(I know it looks like 3 separate eggs, but I cross my heart and hope to die that the one on top had 2 yolks in one shell!)

Then Hannah and I tried to go on a walk.
But it is a quite a blustery day, 
so we opted for some Wii exercise instead.
And by Wii exercise, I really mean 3 songs on RockBand and a long discussion about life.
35 minuets of cord fiddling and 9 pairs of dead batteries later, we were all set up.
I played drums.
And Hannah made up songs about our failure at the job hunting game.
I was laughing so hard that I almost got booed out during "Dirty Little Secret".
But really that might have just been due to my complete lack of RockBand skills...




Tonight...
 I was absolutely craving a good black bean burger.
So I whipped up a batch for mother and I.


Black Bean Burgers with Cilantro-Lime Mayo
(adapted from a recipe found on my current blog obsession, cuisinenie.blogspot.com)



Burgers:


2-3 c. whole wheat bread crumbs 
(I like to make my own by simply pulsing some toasted bread in the food processor)
1 can black beans
2 t. ground cumin
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 mediumish red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 fresh jalapeño, minced 
(take out the pith and seeds if you like a less spicy flavor)
Juice from 1/2 of a lime
Salt and Pepper to taste


Saute onions, garlic, cumin, and jalapeño in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until the onions are soft and translucent.  Transfer to food processor and add the beans, lime juice, salt and pepper .  Pulse until blended with some chunks still remaining.  Stir in cilantro and bread crumbs.  Form mixture into equal sized patties, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for half an hour or so. 
Heat a bit more olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Cook the patties for 5 minuets on each side, or until a nice brown crust appears on the outside.


Cilantro-Lime Mayo:


1/2 c. mayo
3 T. cilantro, finely chopped
1 t. ground cumin
Juice from other half of the lime
1/2 t. ground pepper


Mix it all together!


In a separate skillet heat a little butter and toast the inside of 4 whole wheat buns.  Coat each side with a thick smear of the Cilantro-Lime Mayo and add a black bean patty.  Top with fresh tomato slices, avocado, red onions, and feta cheese. Delish!


Happy Job Hunting!  Oh Happy Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment