Saturday, August 27, 2011

Smurfin Good Recipe

It's strange to think that tonight is my last night in Colorado.
In my own house.
In my own room.
In my own bed.
For a very long time.
I probably won't sleep much tonight
because it is already half past nine o'clock
and I still have loads and loads and loads to do.
I did start packing however,
and my suitcase is already 52 pounds.
Not to mention I still have to fit
a headlamp, my moccasins, a big jacket, all my chargers, and 2 skirts in there 
once I get to Utah.
Sa-weet.


Luckily, my day was filled with a few fabulous distractions.


Saw the Smurfs movie.
And I SMURFED it!
That's smurf for "I loved it!"
But mostly just because the vampire girl from last season of the bachelor,
Gloria from Modern Family,
and Emma from Glee
were all in it.





Father slept through dinner
because he has one long drive ahead of him tomorrow
so I baked a delicious tart for mother and I.
We adore our chick food!
Enjoy...


Tomato Tart with Garlic Basil Crust
(recipe adapted from ThisGirl'sFood)




Garlic Basil Crust Ingredients:
1/2 c. fresh basil leaves, packed
1 clove of garlic
1 1/3 c. flour
1 stick butter, chilled and cut into 10ish pieces
4-5 T. icy cold water


Garlic Basil Crust Directions:
Place garlic and basil in food processor.  Pulse until finely chopped.
(You'll probably have to scrape down the sides a time or two or three)
Add the salt and flour. Pulse until well-combined.
Add the butter and pulse 10-15 times, until the mixture resembles pea-sized chunks.
Add water one tablespoon at a time, pulsing for a few seconds in between, until a thick sticky dough ball forms.
Remove the dough from the food processor, cover in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least an hour before using.


Tart Ingredients:
1 recipe Garlic Basil crust, prepared
8 oz. fresh or shredded mozzarella
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper


Tart Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Roll out  crust dough into a 12ish inch circle.
Drape into tart pan, trimming and pinching edges.
(I mostly skipped this step, which is why mine looks a little sloppy)
Spread cheese along the bottom of the tart shell.
Sneak a bite of this delicious mozzo, your tummy will certainly thank you!
Layer tomato slices on top of the cheese.
Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 35-45 minuets, or until crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.
Try not to drool all over your plate as you take your first bite.
Yeah, it's that good!




Happy in Colorado!  Oh Happy Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment